Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Mothers and Daughters

Spoke to my mom today for 2hrs 20mins on international call. My Reliance calling card is probably depleted, but the very thought of her living alone in that huge cavernous house, unable to sleep, watching astrology shows in the middle of the night makes me want to cry! That I'd been able to fill some part of empty world is solace to me! When she's here she drives me crazy...when she's in Kolkata I pine for her...

A friend of mine took one of those silly quizzes on Facebook which predicts the time of her death. She's supposed to die in 2016 at the age of 44. Of course, I cracked a silly joke about wanting her entire saree collection when she pops it, etc! Many years ago an astrolger predicted some events in my life - typically I don't believe in all that mumbo-jumbo, but whatever this dude had predicted has come true so far. Unfortunately, he had mentioned that I'll lose my mother at the age of 40...that gives her only 3 more years!

Another friend of mine is in Kolkata now. She's been there since June. Her mother has been diagnosed with cancer. The moment she learnt about it, she picked up her kids and landed in Kolkata to be with her mom. I was also in Kolkata at that time and since our kids are friends too, we'd meet every now and then to let the children play together. Every time I saw aunty, it broke my heart - she was so full of life and so cheerful while her body was falling apart! I came back to Seattle after the vacation was over and my friend was supposed to come back towards the end of August along with her parents. She felt she could provide her mom with the best possible care here, in Seattle. Yesterday, when I called her home to find out how they were doing, her mother-in-law picked up the phone. She said that my friend has stayed back Kolkata and her boys have come back to start the school year. I immediately called my friend in her Kolkata number and found out that aunty has had a cardiac arrest right around the time I left and is in  coma since then. My friend can't leave her mother and her aging father alone - so she had to let her children go!

She's miserable and so are her boys. No amount of time spent on Skype can fill the void for either. I would know - I had to spend one whole miserable week not being able to touch my children. It was like someone had taken away my oxygen tank. Every night I'd watch them sleep peacefully while my fingers ached for a single precious touch!! But if I were in my friend's place I'd have done the exact same thing. Without doubt I'd have chosen my parents over my kids. But why does life throw us a curve like this? When daughters become mothers, it's such a hard choice to make...

9 comments:

Deliciously Alive said...

Cheer up, Girl!Not all predictions come true!

Iris said...

Yep, all predictions do not come true. And I am very sure everything is going to be alright. you should tell your mum to stop watching all these astrology shows. My mum does the same... and the anxiety is not worth it. Cheer up, please:-)

Arunima said...

oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I am living with my in-laws right now and have come to realise how much they need our care when they grow old. Luckily for me, I have a brother who is living with my parents.

All predictions do not become true. Be positive. Events in our lives should only make us stronger.

Nautilus said...

Thank you ladies - for your kind words!
Funny emotions - we want the good predictions to come true, not the bad ones!! :))

Lavanya said...

It takes the sun and the rain to make a rainbow. We all have our share of rainbows - count them during troubled times. God bless.

Unknown said...

your mere thoughts are spine chilling, kind of sicko.

White Magpie said...

You'd have chosen your parents over your kids? It's a tough call. Till the moment of truth, no man can be sure of his courage. But all things said and done, it requires courage enough to even make a decision like that instead of life enforcing it on you.

You know what? Kill that astrologer before 3 more years pass. I regretted not doing that. WTF are you doing listening to such guys? I know its a science etc but no astrologer would forecast death deliberately. It has a negative effect unnecessarily even if it might not happen especially for the concerned person.

And start blogging more.

ichatteralot said...

Welcome back Notty and congratulations for your new bundle of joy!

White Magpie said...

are these like your once in a silver moon posts? Its nice to write more once in a while for your disgruntled readers x-(